Tuesday, August 21, 2012

More Trendspotting

The challenges has really got me going on creating for the Trendspotting class. Here are a few more trends that I've tried out:




As you may have noticed I go light on the trends for now. Neither metallics or confetti are my best friends, but I like how the layouts turned out. Sunbursts are easier for me, but I still kept it subtle by stamping with the arrow stamp from Summer Stamp School on the right side of the photo.


Saturday, August 11, 2012


The next Trendspotting class lesson is on ombre i.e. gradient color. This is a new trend for me, but I really, really like it. I was undecided on how to do the gradient, would I use mist? Paper? I decided to only do a small accent at my first try. I used the JBS inks on some SC mistable cameras, and it turned out nice. The inks I used was from top to bottom: malted milk, lemon drop, chicken feed and cough syrup.

Materials: SC Elmwood Park kit, the stamp is from SC Brooklyn Flea and the alpha stickers is from the So Cal add-on Venice Beach. The doilies, inks, mist and cameras are from the SC shop.

The background is woodgrain, which is class number 3. But I think I will do a seperate woodgrain layout.


Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trendspotting class

This is shaping up to be the best class I've taken at Studio Calico so far. It's my fourth. The first lesson was yesterday, and showed off some amazing triangle projects. This is an easy trend for me, and I quickly put a layout together. Our first challenge was to use some of the exclusive digi files that come with the class. I printed out the ombre journaling cards made by Marcy Penner.

I used Elmwood Park and the Monkey bars add-on. I took inspiration from Vee's "Weekly joy" LO in her Elmwood Park gallery. This photo is also from our Gröna Lund amusement park visit in July. My son is showing off his free rides armband.


Monday, August 6, 2012

Quick and easy

Sometimes you just need to get the job done! I'm a really slow scrapper. I've had the base for this layout on my table for a week. I cut the cardstock and the four wide strips of paper and laid them out. I printed the photo.  Then I was stuck! LAst night I decided I would just make something quick to have it out of the way, and this was it. I wasn't sure about it at first, but as soon as I added the starburst stitching I liked it. When I finally sat down it took me about 30 mins to finish it. Sometimes it's about the story rather than a million embellishments!

This picture is from our amusement park visit in July. I took a whole lot of photos so you'll be seeing more about this!This is my daughter on the veteran car ride.