Monday, July 23, 2012

Finding my style

I'm sure most scrapbookers start out by scraplifting and following sketches. Then begins the struggle to find your own style. I don't think my style is such that when someone sees one of my layouts in a gallery they immediately think it's mine. Some people are so easy to spot! Sometimes I think I would love to be like that. On a day when your mojo is missing it must be easier to have go-to, a starting point. For me it's always a blank to start out. And sometimes I think I don't want to find my style, because I like making very different layouts and I would be bored doing the same thing.

Sometimes I make a layout and I think, YES! This is really me! Like this one I made last night:



And sometimes I look through someones gallery and think, hm, I should try to make something in that style. And then I start out and before I'm even done, I know I will end up not liking it. I will stick it in an album, and then 6 months from now I will throw it away to make room for a layout I like better.  (Cheaper than buying new albums, right?)

On Saturday I did just that. I found Michelle Clements gallery and was inspired to make something similar. I stitched on the L-borders and added the flowers in the corner, and then thought YUK! I hate this. I needed more white space that I had initially intended and some handwritten journaling. I also added the buttons and arrows. So this time I managed to save it from the trash.



/Magdalena

8 comments:

  1. I love both. Not easy trying something different but I think you stayed true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your layouts. they are unique, and that's what makes you- you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like both of the layouts! I wouldn't say I have a style either or maybe I do. I think there are bits of YOU in each layout though which is your style =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Saw both of these over at SC! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the hightops layout. Cute subject and such a great use of that tape! I definitely do not have a style. I cannot imagine getting beyond the sketches stage tbh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do great work, no matter what. BUT, your own style is WONDERFUL -- and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your work! And while you don't think others recognize you, I sure do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great page and thanks for being so sweet! xo

    ReplyDelete